A Red Devil In America

Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Town Is Better Than Your Town: On the Construction of Rivalries

The New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox, The Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins, and Duke versus North Carolina are just some of the biggest rivalries that exist in the American sports world. While these rivalries are well known and often the reasons why they developed over time, how does truly understand a rivalry, when they were separated by 4000 miles of ocean?

Manchester United FC's generally accepted rivals are Liverpool FC, Leeds United AFC, and Manchester City FC. All of these rivalries have multiple reasons for their development. The most bitter of these rivalries is Liverpool FC. Both of Liverpool and Manchester United have enjoyed large amounts of success both domestically and in Europe. Their rivalry seems to have developed out of this competition to be the best team but it could also b said that the two cities have been in a competition culturally. Many of the chants that could be heard from the Manchester United stands portray the Liverpool supporters as stupid, poor, and criminals. How is a fan from across the pond supposed to build the true hatred of a rival when they don't really understand the geographical or cultural differences for themselves?

I was born and raised in Virginia, and since I have been watching football I have been a fan of the Red Devils. I hate Liverpool with every bone in my body. Watching the severe beating handed to Man United today was not a task that I took much enjoyment in. Even though this is true, I think this is the fundamental reason why rivalries are necessary in order to provide a bigger meaning to sports. great enemies build solidarity among fans. Through uniting against a common enemy it helps to provide more meaning to the sport and to help build a bigger community. So it makes sense why the general public seems to have a love affair with rivalries, because they help to make this team and the game that has become part of their life mean something even more.

One of the most famous lines in football is "More Than A Club," which is the slogan of Barcelona FC (Another one of the teams I cant stand). Aside from my displeasure for the team, they do have a point with their slogan. For many others, and me as well, the team you root for is not just a club to support, but also a gateway into a new sport and a new part of life. Sports give meaning to parts of peoples' lives and provide them with something bigger than themselves. These rivalries that exist inside these sports help to represent the obstacles and challenges that face us in our everyday lives.

With every loss to Liverpool, I will continue to have a strong distaste in my mouth. With every verse of "You'll Never Walk Alone" that I am forced to listen too I will continue in my struggle to not punch the TV. With no one to defend against, there is no reason for our castle, so bring on the Scousers and let us fight on. Until we meet again let it be known, I'd rather walk alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment