A Red Devil In America

Sunday, March 13, 2011

You're Just a Bandwagon Fan

A very common conversation that I have heard go on more times than I can count goes something like this, (The teams used are examples):

“Who is your favorite baseball team?”
“The Yankees”
“Are you from New York?”
“No, I’m from Virginia.”
“You’re just a bandwagon fan! Why don’t you cheer for a team that is around you?”
“Because I don’t like them.”

Once again, this brings us back to the conversation of what makes someone a fan. I find that it is continually brought back to being from a location. I was out with some friends the other night wearing my Man United shirt, proudly supporting the FA Cup win over Arsenal, and was told I was just and bandwagon fan.

Why is it that when a team wins, or when you cheer for a really good team, you are automatically called a bandwagon fan? I have a theory; we equate being a fan with being miserable. Who are the fans that we love the most? The fans that are there for every game, win or lose, rain or shine. These fans are often found crying in their beers when their team blows a lead in a big game or is celebrating like he won the game himself when they achieve a come from behind victory. So why does it matter when you happen to cheer for a team that wins?

Another theory I have is that people assume you are picking a team because they win.
I think that idea is simply unfair. With a sport like football it gets even more touchy. Where is the best league? England, without a doubt the most competitive league in the world. Who should you cheer for when you aren’t from England? The team who you like to see play the most, or the team with the players you like. Maybe the team you get to watch the most. For me, it was Wayne Rooney. The bullish striker drew me to Manchester United and that is where my love affair began.

I cheer for United when they win or when they lose. I cheer through the awful games and shout at the TV during botched plays. I am a true fan. I know that in my heart why are you a better fan than me just because you cheer for a team that sucks. It is not my fault that your team cant put together wins, but don’t judge me for cheering for a squad that happens to be one of the most prestigious in the world.
Winning draws people in. Great teams have always had a mystique in sports and they always will. Love them, or hate them, great teams make the game better. So in closing Glory Glory Man United, and keep hating on the Red Devils, we will wave when we hoist the cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment